Sunday, February 28, 2016

Listening Evangelization

Taking a pause in  covering the FYCV material,
the following is a reflection on "threshold conversations" and "listening evangelization" from Forming Intentional Disciples by Sherry A. Weddell:


A threshold conversation is a supportive, inviting, open-ended, prayerful act of listening evangelization. In such conversations, we must listen to more than the facts: we need to hear the emotion and meaning behind the story as well. During a threshold conversation, the goal is not catechizing or correcting their ideas — no matter how wildly inaccurate their beliefs or perceptions of the faith or the Church might be. It is also critical to remember that a threshold conversation is not faith sharing. During this conversation, we focus on listening to the other and set aside the need to share our own story. Neither is it counseling or apologetics, and certainly a threshold conversation is never judgmental.

Boarding a plane, a man was in my assigned aisle seat.  He apologized but explained that he was undergoing cancer treatment and needed to be able to get to the restroom easily. I sat next to him in his assigned seat, I said, “If you want to talk about it, I’m available. I worked my way through graduate school on a cancer unit.” “Mark,” then began a conversation about mortal illness, suffering, family, and hope.  After an hour, I felt a clear prompting of the Holy Spirit: “Where is God in all this for you?” The conversation took off again with even greater energy about God, faith, Christianity, family, life, death, and hope. When Mark left the plane, he gave me his card, and I told him that I would pray for him. Mark died a few months ago, and I still pray for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment