Thursday, January 28, 2016

With Gentleness (#1-11)



Last time I wrote about dealing with the “steamroller” - someone who aggressively dominates the discussion. Here are a couple more ways to approach this difficult situation. Let her talk. When she finally pauses, look her in the eye and calmly say something like:
“Kelly, can I ask you a favor? I’d like to respond to your concern, but you keep breaking in. Could I have a few moments to develop my point without being cut off? When I finish, you can tell me what you think. Is that okay?” Wait for a response.
Usually, just making the other person aware is enough to soften their tone and be open to having a dialogue rather than a monologue. If you sense that you need to be a bit firmer you can try something like the following:
“Richard, here’s what I have in mind. You make your point, and I’ll be polite and listen. When you’re done, it will be your turn to be polite and not interrupt while I respond. Then, I’ll let you have your say without breaking in. I need to know if that’s okay with you. If not, well, I’m sorry to say this conversation is over. What would you like to do?” Wait for a response.
page1image11496

No comments:

Post a Comment