Thursday, January 28, 2016

U R Intolerant! (#1-9)



If someone labels you intolerant, you might ask, “What do you mean by that?” The question flushes out their definition of “intolerant” and sets the stage for follow-up questions, as in this dialogue: “You’re intolerant.”
“Can you tell me what you mean by that? Why would you consider me an intolerant person?”
“Well, it’s clear you think you’re right and everyone who disagrees with you is wrong.”

“Well, yes, I do think my views are correct. It’s always possible I could be mistaken; yet in this case I don’t think I am. What about you? You seem to be disagreeing with me. Do you think your views are right?”
“Yes, I think I’m right, too. But I’m not intolerant.”

“Well that confuses me. Why is it when I think I’m right, I’m intolerant, but when you think you’re right, you’re just right? What am I missing?” 

No comments:

Post a Comment