Thursday, January 28, 2016

Open Your Fists (#1-13)



When making a point it helps to verbally open your fists.
“Let me see if I understand you correctly...” Then feed back your understanding to make sure you got it right. When you first say something like, “It’s my understanding that . . .” or “This is the way it seems to me,” then explain your position and invite a response, you indicate you are provisional in your claims. Yes, you have convictions, but they are open to discussion. Here are some additional ways to preface making a point or a claim:

“Would you consider an alternative, or be willing to look at another angle?”
“I wouldn’t characterize it that way. Here’s what I think... Now tell me what you think.”
“I don’t think that’s going to work, and I’d like to suggest why. Is that okay with you?”
“I’m not sure I agree with the way you put it. Think about this . . .” “That is an interesting point, and yet my understanding is....”
In summary, Jesus offered us this advice: “Be shrewd as serpents, and innocent as doves.” I think one of the things he had in mind was that we should be clever in our approach [prepare, do our homework, have a strategy, practice tactics], yet remain innocent in how we come across. 

No comments:

Post a Comment